Camp Geiger is a United States Marine Corps base and is part of the Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune complex. It is home to the United States Marine Corps School of Infantry East for all Marines recruited through the Eastern Recruiting Region. L
To reading more about Camp Lejuene Click Here
The Camp Geiger School of Infantry aboard is separate from Camp Lejeune proper or even Main side. The main entry to Camp Geiger is upon US Highway 17, South associated with Jacksonville, NC.
View Larger Map
It is a vital training middle and together the Marine Combat Training Battalion, Infantry Training Battalion, Advanced Infantry Training Company, plus Staff Noncommissioned Officers Academy, the particular School trains around 20, 000 Marines each year. It hosts several activity that resemble the original times in 1941 when the 1st Marine Division prepared to ship-out to the Pacific.
The School of Infantry is located on Camp Geiger as part of Marine Corps School, Camp Lejeune, NORTH CAROLINA. The Camp Lejeune/New River complicated is home to the largest concentration of Marines and Sailors in the world, with more than 143, 000 people when the civil services employees, retirees and families. Camp Lejeune is also serving as a test-bed as the Marine Corps Warfighting Lab works to develop Marine Corps doctrine in the area of urban warfare.
The School of Infantry (SOI) provides Infantry Military Occupational Specialty qualification in order to entry-level infantry Marines, trains almost all non-infantry Marines in the infantry abilities essential to operate in a combat atmosphere, provide infantry NCOs and SNCOs with advanced infantry skills, and offers both infantry and non-infantry NCOs and SNCOs with the requisite expert military education (PME) and management skills to further their development since leaders within the Marine Corps.
Marines of the 1st Division who were submitted at Camp Lejeune during 1941-42 would not recognize todayâs Camp Geiger as the crowded Tent Camp they will occupied before shipping out to World War IIâs Pacific Theater. The first Tent Camp consisted mainly of six-man canvas tents, 20 feet square, arranged in obstructs on a gridlike street pattern. Another adjacent Tent Camp provided simply no better accommodations, offering fourteen-man âhutsâ made of sheets of compressed cellulose called Homosote. By the end from the war, corrugated steel Quonset huts replaced most of the tents, but the battered Homosote huts remained until the earlier 1950s when all the huts had been removed. With new concrete prevent barracks, Tent Camp was rededicated in 1953 and renamed honoring Marine Corps General Roy H. Geiger. Since the 1970s, Camp Geiger has been undergoing still another repairing to meet the modern-day needs from the Corpsâ? School of Infantry.
Within Camp Geigerâs Monument Circle are usually four monuments. One honors Lance Corporal Julius C. Foster (1938-1968). Lance Corporal Foster, a member associated with Company E, 2d Battalion, 26th Marines, 3d Marine Division, had been killed on 22 February 1968 by hostile mortar fire throughout the battle for Khe Sanh, Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam. A second monument, installed by the Military Order of Devil Dogs Fun and Honor Society of the Maine Corps League, honors Marines who else died in Lebanon during 1982-84. A third memorializes the service from the 4th Marine Division, which fought against on Roi-Namur, Saipan, Tinian, plus Iwo Jima prior to its deactivation in November 1945. The 4th monument was erected in honor of General Roy Stanley Geiger (1885-1947), the pioneering Marine aviator and the namesake of Sign Camp Geiger. General Geiger commanded the 1st and third Marine Amphibious Corps, and the 10th Army briefly during World (****************************************************